Friday, May 19, 2006

New Job

Well, I've started my new job at Golden Valley Humane Society and it is pretty fun so far. It is very well organized, unlike the last humane society I worked for, and I was happy to hear my supervisor say that they staff a lot of people in the summer to prevent the employees from becoming overwhelmed. What I really like about this place is that they have a program in place to help those dogs and cats that are scared and need extra attention. Volunteers take time with these animals to help them come around and be ready for adoption. Many of these animals would be euthanized if this program wasn't in place. There are a few dudes that work there too, although it is still mostly women. Everyone seems nice, but when you're new you can feel everyone sizing you up. I think women do this especially (I do it too!). "Is this new chick prettier, skinnier, younger, etc. than me?" *hissssssssss* Oh well, I can't help it if I got it goin' on :). My job will entail examining dogs, cats, and little pets (i.e. rabbits), vaccinating, and running diagnostic tests (i.e. heartworm tests). Also, I will have to give treatments to all the sick animals. There are so many that it takes all day! After getting good at the exams, I will get to rotate through and help with surgery. I think that will involve getting the animals ready for surgery, recovering them, and cleaning instruments. They do 50-70 spay/neuters a day so it is busy in surgery! Maybe I'll get to do a neuter. It is pretty crazy dealing with such a large population of animals, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot. I am excited to become profficient in my exam techniques and blood draws. Yay for experience and double yay for good pay!

11 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

Congrats, Sam... Glad it's going well. The real question though is whether or not they'll let you listen to non-classical music around the animals.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

Have you gotten bit by any of the animals yet? As I recall, the animals at the old humaine society used to abuse you. Perhaps, being in Golden Valley, the animals are richer and more civilized.

12:55 PM

 
Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

Jordan, everyone knows that classical music is the only music that cats can stand to listen to. Anything else stunts their growth.

12:56 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

There isn't any music playing, which is actually probably good so nobody fights over the radio station. I haven't gotten bit and hopefully won't. I'll bet a cat will get me though, they are tricky and go for blood.

7:49 PM

 
Blogger Chris Hill said...

Have you ever wondered out loud while at work, "hmm... what animal should I eat tonight?" while making sure others heard you? I think that would be funny if you did.

6:51 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

That would be funny, but since my supervisor has a PETA bag I would probably be smart to refrain. There is a wild turkey in (this shelter also takes in wildlife) and I almost mentioned about how I was going turkey hunting that week but again, PETA bag.

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

Sam, don't you know that if you eat turkey, that's the same as being a Nazi. Just something to think about.

7:44 AM

 
Blogger Jordan said...

....wow...Laura you bring up a really good point. This is something I need to start being more concerned about. Also, hearing a girl say she hunts turkey is very attractive, especially if she knows how to cook turkey afterward.

1:05 PM

 
Blogger Chris Hill said...

http://www.peta.org/Living/commentary_listing.aspx?id=85

11:23 PM

 
Blogger Chris Hill said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:26 PM

 
Blogger Jordan said...

Sam, we need another post. Do it for the children!

11:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home