Thursday, August 10, 2006

I like sleep

I really like sleeping. Last night when I went to bed, I just layed there awhile and enjoyed what was about to happen. It's funny how one minute you're staring at the ceiling and the next your alarm goes off. All this time passes by and you are unaware of it. My brother has brilliantly taken this aspect of sleep and makes it work for him as a time machine. For example the twins game is on at 6, but it is only 4 and he has nothing to do. So he just enters the "time machine", and doesn't resurface until the pre-game talks. My mom will say "Paul's in his time machine" if he's home for the weekend and I ask what he's doing. Of course, sleep can only take you forward in time. Well, for now... Today I have been feeling like I am trapped in an obese person's body. Not because I am having a "fat day" but because I am really tired. It is a new level of tired in that I need to lay on my bed and recover after going up the stairs. It took me an hour to eat dinner because the hand-to-mouth motion was too tedious. I just feel like sitting in a giant heap like Jabba the Hut. I collapsed on the couch after work for a couple hours but forced myself to flip every 20 minutes due to a horrific story that Laura told me yesterday. She heard on the radio that there was this 600 lb woman who sat on her couch for 6 years and didn't move. This caused her skin to start growing into the couch, making her a human/funiture hybrid. I'm not that tired. I have been wondering why God designed sleep. Is it a result of sin that we need to sleep? Or is it a gift of God in light of our bodies becoming mortal and needing recharging? I think it is a gift. Not only do you energize, but sleep is also a chance to be by yourself. It is a chance to get lost in your mind while you wait to drift off. And dreams! Sleep allows us to have often crazy dreams to either laugh or be disturbed about the next day. If nothing else, sleep gives us something to look forward to at the end of the day. I am so glad God made sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

"...for he grants sleep to those he loves. "
-Psalm 127:2

10:17 AM

 
Blogger Jordan said...

You are completely right Sam. Sleep is wonderful. Sometimes after a long week I spend literally half the weekend asleep. It is so wonderful I can barely type just thinking about it.

9:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home