Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Mein Kampf

Okay, so I plagiarized my title. However, I have plagiarized Hitler, so anyone who objects will be immediately labeled an anti-Semite. I've been feeling restless lately. Restless and dissatisfied. I have no logical reason to feel this way, as I have everything I need and am POSITIVE that I am on the right career path. I am so blessed to know that God made me to become a vet. So many others are earnestly seeking what direction God wants their lives to take. I was fortunate enough to know right away. However, I have been recently contemplating what will happen after I graduate. I will be a vet, which I had planned all along, but where will I go? Will I settle into a community? Work overseas? Work for the government? Do disaster relief? Do research? I have my career, but not my life direction. I am almost finished with one of John Piper's books, called "Don't Waste your Life" and it has really got me thinking. This book talks of fully giving your life to what God has called you and avoiding the cushy comfort bubble. The book references stories of soldiers in battle, and uses them to parallel our constant battle against Satan's forces. I have been inspired to go out and fully use my gifts for God's glory no matter the risk--even death. I am currently looking into a great organization known as Christian Vet Missions, because I have a strong urge to go overseas. I feel like it is right, because I am excited and scared at the same time. My heart has been increasingly heavy for the lost, and I have this untamable desire for adventure. I really want to have adventures in my life. Lots of them. I worry that this is stemming from my prideful human nature, so God forbid I go overseas for my own purposes. Yet, the excitement and anticipation that wells up when I think of going out and using my vet skills to love and serve others is reeling. It seems that I have been dormant for awhile, just going with the flow until recently when God has revealed my potential if I would just submit to his will and follow Him with reckless abandon. He has made me how I am and given me these gifts to make an impact for Christ. I would love to do a short -term missions trip next summer if God wills it, but I think it still needs more prayerful consideration. I will be up at a cabin all next week, so I'll have plenty of time to pray about it. Who knows what I'm gonna do, but I'll keep everyone updated!

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ibsen said...

I feel that way too: I desperately want an adventurous life, and see God actively using me for His glory. That's why its so hard to be considering yet another boring office position in a church. I often feel like I'm wasting my life, and without any oportunity to do something more.

I think a lot of people look at me and think that I wasn't made for much more than being some assistant in some boring office, probably because I'm not constantly talking about disadvantaged countries like some other people. But, the truth is I'd give anything to travel and meet people and just really live.

But, that's no reason to not "really live" while you're stuck in some boring office job. The trick is to stay humble, yet stay hungry. And, hope that you'll get the chance to make a leap somewhere in your life.

8:06 AM

 
Blogger renee said...

hmmm.... adventures we shall have. sometimes it comes down to simply choosing. in order to achieve this life full of stories and experiences we long for, you have to be willing to give up lots of comforts (friends and family being close by, plans for the future that you can somewhat control, etc)

if it's right, the pros will outweigh the cons and i think it becomes obvious. and, lucky you, you have skills that the whole world needs, so most places will take you. :-)

6:40 AM

 
Blogger Jordan said...

Sam, I think it is natural to come to this point of questioning and trying to determine a path that will allow us to glorify God and to have significance. And you're coming into that with the advantage of at least knowing some kind of basic field you want to be in. That's a great vantage to have at this point, and I think that as you go along and approach graduation (still 3 more years!) that someone with as much direction as you've had in the past will hone in on a more specific course as you learn more about yourself and God's will for you. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope you don't worry at all because I really think it will all become clear for you with each step you take.

That's exciting you're thinking more about international stuff too :) You could write your own version of "there and back again, a hobbit's tale."

7:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home